|This large blue suitcase is perfect for the frame of my doggie bed|
I really liked the shade of blue but its going to stay in the bedroom and blue didn't match anything else in the room so I bought a can of Behr High Drama red paint to paint the suitcase a color to coordinate with the existing red in the room. I also bought four legs 4" high to hold up the suitcase.
|4" legs found at the local hardware store|
The first step was to remove the top piece of the suitcase. If you are going to do this, I suggest finding a suitcase that is assembled with screws. Mine, I found out used a type of heavy duty brad that were very difficult to remove. I damaged the suitcase a little bit trying to remove them. So for appearance and time management, I would strongly suggest picking a suitcase that is easy to disassemble.
|A little bit of damage from removing the hardware from the top of suitcase|
After semi-successfully removing the top lid of the suitcase I measured where the legs would go on the bottom. Using a marker I placed dots at each corner where my legs would attach and then used the screw driver to drill my holes for the screws. The legs I chose already had screws attached to them so after drilling my holes I tightened the legs onto the bottom and then used nuts to keep them in place on the inside of the suitcase. I also added a little bit of gorilla glue onto the legs so I knew they wouldn't go anywhere.
|Pre drilled leg holes|
Next came the fun part of painting the suitcase. The Behr paint I chose already had a built in primer so I did not prime my suitcase. Being careful not to paint the hardware I slowly applied my first coat of paint. Because it is a vinyl covering the first coat of paint went on very thin. Also because I was using red paint the first coat looked more pink than anything. I let the paint dry for 24 hours and then painted the second coat. Total it took 3 coats to cover the suitcase completely as well as get a nice deep red.
|I used a semi-gloss to achieve a slightly shiny finish|
After the 3rd coat of paint was dry I used a small amount of metallic silver paint to go over the metal hardware and give it a clean, new look.
|Repainting the hardware updated the look of the suitcase|
The final step consisted of finding a fluffy material to fill the suitcase. I had some chair foam and an extra pillow that I stuffed inside and than added a matching, soft fabric over the top so puppy will have a nice place to rest her head.
|Sock monkey fabric was used as the puppy comforter|
I added a new little puppy to complete the dog bed. She's still a little small to jump in the bed for now. In a few weeks I know she will be able to get inside but until then she will keep sleeping with mom at night.
|Charlotte in her suitcase bed|
|She loves her sock monkey blanket|
|Its so comfy she's ready for a nap already|